Anne of Green Gables Raspberry Cordial

by Cara Nicoletti on September 21, 2010

1raspberries

So I’ve been a little stalled lately and haven’t been posting very much. The summer was slipping away from me so quickly—and so so very hotly—that I simply couldn’t muster the strength to bake or cook in my nine-hundred-degree kitchen.

But now it’s starting to feel like fall in New York and I’m getting nostalgic for all kinds of “back to school” books from my past and wanting to bake a million varieties of appley cinnamony confections. For some reason the fall always makes me want to re-read Anne of Green Gables. Maybe it’s because of all the beautiful autumnal colors in the PBS adaptation of the novels, or the number of days I played hooky from school to watch it, but I think most likely it’s the plethora of comfort foods cooked and eaten throughout the book.

2bottle

Lucy Maud Montgomery novels are so full-to-the-brim with cooking and eating scenes they could fill an entire cookbook on their own. In Jane of Lantern Hill there’s Mrs. Meade’s butter cookies, Jane’s Irish stew and Mrs. Snowbeam’s rice pudding, in Pat of Silverbush there’s iced melon balls, lemon coconut cake and pea soup, but my favorite of L.M. Montgomery’s food scenes comes from Anne of Green Gables. Oh, it’s so hard to choose between this one and the mouse in the plum cake scene! But for now we’ll focus on this one–plum cake with Marilla’s pudding sauce some other time.

Halfway through the novel, Anne invites her new “bosom” friend, Diana, over for an elegant tea party. She’s excited to feed her fruitcakes and cherry preserves but mostly she’s excited that Marilla said they could drink some of her famous (non-alcoholic) raspberry cordial.

3lable

Be sure to label bottle clearly if your sister/roommate tends to throw out anything remotely questionable in your refrigerator

“Marilla is a very generous woman. She said we could have fruit-cake and cherry preserves for tea. But it isn’t good manners to tell your company what you are going to give them to eat, so I won’t tell you what she said we could have to drink. Only it begins with an r and a c and it’s a bright red colour. I love bright red drinks, don’t you? They taste twice as good as any other colour” (172).

Anne has never tasted cordial before so she has no idea when she pours Diana a generous glassful that she is actually giving her currant wine. Diana, feeling “awful sick” from all the alcohol, stumbles home to her prim and proper mother who blames Anne for Diana’s drunken state and forbids Diana to ever see Anne again.

4drip

While Marilla’s cordial in the book isn’t alcoholic the recipe given here certainly is. It’s a perfect recipe to make now before good summer raspberries disappear into winter. And since the cordial has to soak for a minimum of two weeks, by the time you do drink it you’ll be neck-deep in chunky sweaters and needing a reminder of summer.

5drip2

Photo credit: Juddy Magee

Anne of Green Gables Raspberry Cordial:
Ingredients:

• 2 pints raspberries
  • 2/3 cup of sugar
  • 2 tbs triple sec
  • about 28 oz. good vodka

Directions:

Boil raspberries and sugar in a sauce pan until soft, smushing berries with the back of a spoon. Let berry sugar mixture cool and funnel it into a 32 oz. container. Add 2 tbs triple sec and fill remainder of the bottle with vodka. Shake and let sit for a minimum of 2 weeks.

After at least 2 weeks strain using a fine mesh sieve or a coffee filter. Be sure to squeeze berry mush thoroughly to get all of the good stuff out. Enjoy!

6cordialbottles

Don't forget to follow along for updates:

If there’s a literary food scene you want to see come to life be sure to leave me a comment and let me know! Or take a peek in the Recipe Index.

sue September 21, 2010 at 10:11 am

Now you’re talkin!!!! Haven’t had a pink drink in a while…

Emily September 21, 2010 at 11:49 am

This stuff is the bomb. I want to drink some right now!

Marcy September 22, 2010 at 7:21 am

The only pink summer drink i ever got as a kid was borscht and i was always hoping it would taste like raspberries!
This is another delicious entry Cara. Photos are beautiful and it brought back the sweet memory of you as a little girl with a big book on your lap.
xo
Auntie M
ps I especially like the caption under the labeled bottle!

meganwmoore September 22, 2010 at 9:37 am

Lemme get an invite to the uncorking!

Also, I never manage to get my Ronnybrook bottle refund because I use the bottles for everything!

Jason September 23, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Great pictures. My mouth is watering.

Growing up, I used to love picking raspberries around our old farmhouse in PEI but for some reason we never had raspberry cordial.

I will be sharing this with my wife and making a special request to follow your example.

Thanks!
Jason

Jericho October 11, 2010 at 9:21 pm

hey was just wondering if lime cordial and lemon cordial was made the same way be nice to get a reply awesome recipe it looks good

yummybooks October 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Hi Jericho,
Lemon Cordial can be made the same way as this raspberry cordial. Just peel the lemon (avoiding the white parts) and soak the peel in vodka or brandy for a few weeks with sugar or honey. The only lime cordial I know of is used as a non-alcoholic mix-in for cocktails, like grenadine. I don’t think the lime peels would infuse as well into the liquor, but lemon cordial is delicious!

Marz September 23, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Viola, you’ll be making Limoncello

Nancy November 14, 2010 at 8:45 am

This would be better without alcohol.

yummybooks November 14, 2010 at 10:30 am

I don’t know, Nancy, it’s pretty good with the alcohol!

Deb November 14, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Without alcohol? but why?! Otherwise it would just be raspberry juice. I think it’s perfect just the way it is.

Ellen January 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Can this be made with frozen raspberries?

yummybooks January 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm

yes absolutely! just be sure to let them thaw first and drain the excess water out before soaking.

thenewsbase March 16, 2012 at 11:49 am

Yummy! The name “raspberry cordial” always sounded so… romantic and delicious and tangible. One of those words I could say over and over again. And in the movie the drink they have looks so sweet and delicious. Always wanted to know what it would be like. Loving this blog!

yummybooks March 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Thank you! I completely agree, I think “raspberry cordial” has to be one of the very best word combinations in the English language–it’s enough to make your mouth water!

Marz September 23, 2015 at 4:06 pm

I can’t wait to try Raspberry Cordial. I’ve made both cherry and apricot cordials, and they are the greatly appreciated when I give them as gifts!

Marz September 23, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I can’t wait to try the Raspberry Cordial. I’ve made both cherry and apricot cordials, and they are greatly appreciated when I give them as gifts!

Previous post: